Thursday 8 August 2013

A Quiet Evening in Lincolnshire: Lancaster Diorama Part 1


Growing up in the 1980s, I found myself enthralled by World War 2 history. My grandparents’ generation had lived as adults through WW2 and even 40 years later, it seemed to my young eyes that all the best films, the best comics – and the best model kits – were focused on WW2. In Britain we maintain a strong remembrance of previous wars, particularly WW2, so growing up I was accustomed to seeing the RAF's surviving Lancaster flying over each year as part of the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, and naturally I was very impressed by this mighty, rumbling, graceful machine.



Back in the 21st Century, and I realised recently that I have never built a model Lancaster. It occurred to me at the same time that some acquaintances of mine are involved with an armed forces charity, and a plan began to form: what if I made a model Lancaster diorama as a fundraiser for them? They quickly agreed and work began earlier this summer. The plan is to create a diorama showing a Lancaster being readied by ground personnel for an evening mission at a Lincolnshire bomber base.

The main focus will be the Lancaster, of course, and for this I chose the  Revell Lancaster Mk.I/III kit in 1/72 scale. This has turned out to be a decent kit with good detail and nice build options. I deliberately didn’t select one of the Dambuster Lancaster kits available because I wanted the model to represent a typical aircraft preparing for a typical mission, rather than a one-off.
The Lancaster is currently about 75% finished. The main assembly is complete, together with the finished paintwork and decals, with the propellers, landing gear, gun turrets and cockpit glazing still to add. The rear vertical stabilisers are finished but still to be added.
To add some life to the scene, I will be adding some ground personnel and RAF vehicles to the display. Luckily, Airfix have just released their WW2 RAF Bomber Re-Supply set, and I will be making good use of the excellent vehicles and ground accessories within to give some purpose to my display. I will also add some figures from Revell and Airfix RAF personnel kits.
Airfix RAF Bedford in progress
 
Next jobs on A Quiet Evening in Lincolnshire:
Finish the Lancaster
Build the ground vehicles
Finish the ground base and figures
 

No comments:

Post a Comment