Wednesday 17 September 2014

On the Bench: Citroen 2CV Part 3

Time for a quick update on progress with the Revell 1/24 Citroen 2CV, which I am building using only minimal tools and paint, on my kitchen worktop, while my modelling gear is packed up for my upcoming house move.

As explained in an earlier post, I have painted over the chrome grille, bumper and headlamp parts to make my 2CV look like a bog-standard base model.

In my last post, the main subassemblies – chassis, body and interior – had pretty much been completed, and I explained that I will not be building the engine. Since then, those main parts have come together to make the 2CV recognisable, and I have to say I think it’s starting to look like a great little model. One job I hadn’t done last time was to fit the steering gear: I did this one evening, following the instructions and using tweezers heated in a candle flame to flatten the ends of the kingpins and create a working steering linkage to allow pivoted, poseable steering.

Stance is very typical for a 2CV. This is a good-quality kit.

After that, I fitted the wheels (these still need properly weathering on their back faces), fitted the dash and steering column into the interior, fitted the interior assembly to the chassis, and finally fitted the body over the whole lot. As a result, my 2CV has started to take on its final shape. I also added the headlamps (without glasses), bonnet and grille and front bumper.

Suitably basic interior. The instrument cluster is represented by a decal.

No comments:

Post a Comment